Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Thaw

Sunday, March 8, 2015


"The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence.  When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers." - Thich Nhat Hanh

"Anger is a doorway to walk through rather than a house to live in." - Mary Hayes Grieco

This last week I finally finished walking through the doorway of my own old anger.  It took me about twenty months to walk through that door.  The door was something more like a deep tunnel. There were days when the tunnel seemed to be endless.  Discovering the tunnel was in fact not endless was a great source of joy and relief for me.

The world outside my windows is undergoing a profound transformation. Today will be the first day the evening comes an hour later.  There will still be light in the sky well past 7 p.m. While outside today I saw mallard ducks sunning themselves along the banks of a small stream.  The snow is melting away.  The cutting quality of winter's bitter winds is gone.  There will undoubtedly be some more cold days before the softness of spring takes firm root but it's clear winter is beginning to fade away.

I feel a lot better now.  There is a spaciousness inside me now that I wish to fill with something other than anger.  Perhaps I can fill it with something like 'an ocean of light'.  Mary used this phrase during her forgiveness workshop class this morning.  I liked the vivid imagery that came to my mind when I heard Mary utter this phrase.  I found myself remembering some of the beautiful life moments I experienced in Hawaii.

I also feel more excited about my future now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!