Friday, March 13, 2015

Adventure

Friday, March 13, 2015


Today is my second day of writing about values from my Values Alphabet.  The word for today is adventure.

Adventure is something very dear to my heart.  You only need to look at my resume to know I have a love of variety and learning.  I crave new experiences.  The surest way for me to lose interest in something is for me to become bored.  This is true for my personal life as well as my professional life.

My love of adventure has inspired my travels to places such as Hawaii, Norway, Germany, Belgium, France and Spain.  I value the opportunity to travel.  I enjoy encountering new cultures and making new friends.  I love to learn!

So how does adventure connect to trauma?  I think it true that unhealed trauma can incline people to become risk averse.  When we fear for our very safety and wish to insulate ourselves from the harm that can sometimes result from taking risks it can become easy to shut our emotional health down and avoid opportunities to be spontaneous, to be inquisitive, to have fun and to travel.  Adventure can thus be something of an antidote to trauma.

I am very grateful that I have pursued the education and travel opportunities I have enjoyed throughout my life.  I have found it very difficult to imagine living in the same part of the world my entire life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!