Sunday, June 1, 2014

Looking Back One Year Ago: June 1, 2013

Sunday, June 1, 2014


Written one year ago today...


Day 20 – My Return…And Now a Break

My “working vacation” was so demanding that I believe I might very well have earned a vacation from my vacation.

I didn’t really sleep last night.  I could not easily sleep even if I had wanted to.  Light started filling the sky over Berlin around 4 am (the sun rises before 5 am) and I decided to venture out and make one last offering.  And yet again it was raining.  This was not one of my better trips to Europe when measured against the weather….I think I experienced three completely sunny days if even that.

I went to the Brandenburger Tor with the hope of making a short video piece to acknowledge the American Council on Germany as well as my German ancestry.  The first attempt seems to have had a decent volume but I was too close to the camera…my head was cut off at the scalp.  The second one was better regarding my appearance…but the volume seemed too low.  Regardless of what I find when I review them closely it is the thought that counts.  I honored my ancestors in a deep way and then left in the growing morning light to make my way back to the hotel to prepare to leave Europe.

It’s a bittersweet departure I am making.  I understand more about my family of origin now.  That gives me some greater peace.  Having opened the door to the past to confront that which had been never fully resolved I can now face the other direction and create a better future for myself.



I am back in Minneapolis now. It's nearly 9 pm...nearly 4 am in Berlin where I was 24 hours ago. Indeed...24 hours ago I was preparing to venture out to make one last offering at the Brandenburger Tor...a symbol both of German power and unity as well as division and suffering.

I feel complete now in a very profound way. Two years ago I opened the Maui Times and saw an article that focused on the legacy of Nazi atrocities committed in World War II. The German shadow seemed to loom large...and was, I felt, inviting me in as a way of journeying to a new beginning.

Here I am two years later...and I have made the journey. I feel much light will come from having entered the shadow. It was painful. It was demanding. It was exhausting. But I believe it was worth it.

The End of an Old Time has come. Now comes the new beginning!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!