Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Feeling Of A Life Indefinitely Postponed

Sunday, June 22, 2014


My most recent piece, in which I wrote a work of creative fiction (I hope it will be fiction) about the world about twenty years into the future, inspired me to think a bit more on the state of my own life today.

I met with a local psychologist yesterday for a follow up to my original appointment which I had last Thursday.  My main goal in getting a second opinion is to develop a better sense of what the arc of my healing process may be like in the short, intermediate and long term future.  This arc is obviously contingent on the choices that I will make each and every day of my life.  But because I am a social creature and do not live on a deserted island my life is inevitably intertwined with the lives (and choices) of many other people.  And that's what concerns me.  I think many of my fellow Americans need some serious therapy.

I have written on previous occasions about feeling as if the dreams I had for my future life were postponed (perhaps indefinitely?) due in part to the ignorance, reactivity and sheer nastiness of too many Americans.  What is my Exhibit A?  Congress of course!  I think our current Congress set a record for achieving the lowest public approval rating ever!  I believe it is under 10%.  You almost have to try to fail to do so poorly.

Basically, as I think I effectively convey in my other piece written today, I have serious doubts about the sustainability of the future of this nation.  There are numerous issues that concern me.

I submitted my application for a position back in the Monterey Bay area of California.  Meanwhile I have to get on with my life.  It's been over three years since I graduated from school there.  My life hasn't evolved exactly as I had hoped or dreamed.  My McCloy Environmental Policy fellowship awarded to me by the American Council on Germany has been the highlight of my professional life these last three years.  There are many other opportunities I can explore outside of California...and outside of this nation.  And I am doing that.  Life is too short not to be happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!