Friday, January 10, 2014

Our Bodies Are Amazing Creations

Friday, January 10, 2014


Today was one of those very rare Fridays when I awoke at about 9:30 am and did not need to quickly get myself ready to be anywhere.  There are certain joys of not being a rat in the working world and being a slave to a clock.  I allowed myself to sleep in partly due to the fact that I had an acupuncture appointment yesterday; my left shoulder needed some exquisite rest.

Allowing my left shoulder to go somewhat 'offline' for a bit has been a good inspiration to help me reflect on how amazing the human body is.  When we experience a superficial cut our body immediately starts to activate a clotting response so we do not indefinitely bleed (unless you suffer from a condition that impairs this automatic response).  When something gets introduced into our body that causes dis-ease the body finds any number of ways to purge it.  I'll spare the vivid words used to describe those processes.  PTSD is itself a normal and healthy response to trauma.

I have been reflecting on how I have sometimes taken my own body for granted.  I think it is very human to do so.  We live in a world so overrun with technology that it can be easy to start conceiving of our bodies as just another machine that needs 'fuel' to run.  This machine concept, however, strikes me as very shortsighted and certainly not holistic in its perspective.  As we grow older I think it is very natural to become more cognizant of the body; abusing it seems to catch up with us faster and nurturing it seems to be something we begin to more and more appreciate the value of.  I have been motivated to develop a rigorous gym regimen in part as a means of developing a higher level of fitness so I can do a more physical job in the future.

I swam twenty laps at the YMCA today.  I also reviewed the offering of classes to see what I might be able to attend in the next few weeks.  It's been so liberating to release this idea I once accepted (that I am not athletic) and simply allow myself to have more fun.

In other news I'm finally beginning to work more on organizing my contact list for my job search process.  In the next few weeks I will be reaching out in a number of venues to further explore my options.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!