Friday, January 24, 2014

Another Way I Am Recovering

Friday, January 24, 2014


Once I successfully address the factors unique to my own paternal family of origin that contributed to the development of my PTSD I intend to continue writing in some fashion as a means of acknowledging a different form of trauma that I believe exists.  I have alluded to this different type of trauma in other writings.  I call it cultural trauma.  There is likely a more technical term for that which I mean to describe.  Genocide and being uprooted from your culture of origin are two examples of events that could produce what I call cultural trauma.

Though I did not realize it at the time I believe I had my first intensive experience of cultural trauma when I lived among the Lakota Native American people on the Rosebud reservation in the first months of 1997.  At the time I was a Jesuit novice and was sent to South Dakota for what the Jesuits call an 'experiment'.  I was in my early 20s at the time.  I had previously never lived immersed in a culture radically different from the cultures my father and mother grew up in.  It was an eye opening experience to say the least.

Many years prior to that time, when I was a very small boy, my parents took photographs of me.  They enlarged one particular image; this image was later mounted on a wall in the house I spent most of my years of childhood.  I had blonde hair, a cute smile...and I was wearing leather.

Last year, around the time my recovery from PTSD began, I decided to also take the plunge and allow myself to more thoroughly explore my mother's culture of origin.  Though I grew up in the United States and am not a dual citizen of the States and Germany I have nonetheless long felt that I belong equally in both places.  Making my trip to Germany last May reawakened what I would call my 'Germanic side'.  I began to explore that side of my identity more and more.  In my mind a common association with German culture is an appreciation for leather.

I am contributing to my recovery process by seeking out my leather brothers (and sisters) this weekend at the Mr. Chicago Leather event in Chicago, Illinois.  I will be leaving early tomorrow morning and taking the bus (because it is cheaper).  I am looking forward to getting away for the weekend and enjoying the pleasures of another city.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!