Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I Was A Poster Boy For Burnout

Wednesday, July 16, 2014


The following writing is inspired by an article I found on the Forbes website.

Here is my question for the day.  Do you know what the signs of burnout are?  According to the above referenced article they are the following.  I am including a little commentary about my present and past status in regards to each of them.

1) Exhaustion 

I wouldn't say that I am currently exhausted...but lately I have been feeling I am about one step above this scenario.  I've done an enormous amount of work on myself in the last twelve months...and the results have been obvious to many people.

2) Lack of motivation

I find it difficult to motivate myself to go to a job that effectively uses almost no skills I developed after high school graduation.

3) Frustration, Cynicism, etc

Even now I find it difficult to not be cynical on occasion.  I showed an obvious disposition to cynicism when I was a teenager.  By that point I had already felt quite wounded by the earliest years of my life history.  My father noticed this enough to tell me not to be so cynical...but then again he couldn't be healthy and confront the reasons why I had become cynical.  He was not capable of such emotional depth.

4) Cognitive Problems

My concentration is much better than it was a year or even six months ago.  But there are still days when I struggle to concentrate well.

5) Slipping Job Performance

Thankfully this is not currently an issue.  But I do struggle to feel motivated.  Thankfully my blog is but one good outlet for me.

6) Interpersonal Problems at Home and Work

Undesired drama in my home environment has been a theme too often in my past life.  I have made a vow to end it.

7) Not Taking Care of Yourself

I am enhancing my skills in this area.  But I probably have been eating a bit too much chocolate ice cream.

8) Being Preoccupied With Work

I am gradually learning more and more how to leave my work at the office at the end of the day.

9) Generally Decreased Satisfaction

This has been a major issue.  I haven't done anything professionally rewarding that also pays me the salary I can merit based on my skill set in years.  This needs to change.

10) Health Problems

Also known as 2013.  Thankfully this is also essentially a phenomenon of the past.  I made a vow to myself last year to never wind up in the situation I was in a year ago.  


Do something healthy for yourself and read the article I referenced.  Would you consider yourself burned out?  If so, it's time to pay more attention to yourself.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!