Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Failed States and Failed People

Tuesday, July 15, 2014


I have wondered more than once in my life how people like Dick Cheney, John Boehner, George W. Bush, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and the like come to be who they are.  How do people come to be so mean, nasty, self-absorbed, greedy, petty and destructive?

Phrased on the larger level of nation states how does a nation reach the point where oral sex in the White House is considered an impeachable offense but leading a nation into war (which ultimately results in thousands of service-members dead and millions of the local population displaced, impoverished or worse) on false pretexts is not considered an impeachable offense?  The moral relativism of the United States sometimes boggles my mind.  Sexual misconduct appalls plenty of people but leading our soldiers off to die in unnecessary and unprovoked wars seems to be perfectly acceptable.  Talk about your strange priorities!

Eleven years after 'President' George W. Bush launched a war in Iraq we are still dealing with the consequences of his poorly thought out choice.  Throughout his second term in office Bush was noteworthy for comments regarding his chosen war which were incredibly poor in taste.  A good synopsis of the issue of those missing weapons of mass destruction can be found here.  Bush also made something of an unfortunate name for himself during his time as Governor of Texas.  In particular he is reputed to have shown quite an insensitive attitude to Death Row inmate Karla Faye Tucker.  You can learn more about this largely forgotten episode here.

In my mind failed states and failed people are inextricably linked.  By 'failed people' I mean to describe people who lack most if not all of the most basic qualities that we customarily attribute to a 'good' person.  Characteristics that define quality people include integrity, kindness, humility, sensitivity, compassion, generosity and a willingness to learn.  Many men who are born and raised in the culture of the United States seem to think manhood and masculinity are made manifest by attributes other than the ones I have just enumerated.  I find that very sad.  And I don't think such distorted conceptions of masculinity are going to work much longer for the whole world either.

The geopolitical reality of nation states, their origin and their current issues in this twenty-first century world was but one subject I surveyed while a graduate student in California a few years ago.  I found it interesting to note that nation states are, in some cases, shadows of their former selves.  By this I mean that an increasing number of the policy issues that bedevil nation states and their citizens can be attributed to what are called non-state actors.  The phenomenon of terrorism is but one example.  Corporations are another excellent example.  I think it accurate to say that corporate influence is undermining representative democracy in this nation.  Too much of what we believe, eat, wear and the like is influenced by a very small collection of corporations.


Failure has been on my mind lately...actually for the past year or so.  I suppose on some level I have been reflecting on failure because of how failure intimately affected my life so many years ago.  Yes, I am working through my pain and disappointment.  But it sure does take a lot of time.  I feel as if I am the poster boy for what happens when a whole bunch of people and institutions fail you throughout your life.  It's all too easy to become an angry, alienated person who despairs of ever feeling like he truly belongs...anywhere.

As much as failure is an unpleasant aspect of life I believe that being insulated from the consequences of our failures, small and big, individual and collective, can seriously harm us in the long run.  When corruption riddles our political system and we tolerate its presence it seems to me we are just asking for the poison to fester and worsen.  This doesn't mean a solution to the deepest, darkest issues in our lives is easily discerned or implemented.  No, addressing complex problems is often...complex.

I think my father is a good example of a person who could have become so much more than he ultimately became.  But he became something else.  And I simply could no longer tolerate his inappropriate behavior.  It's amazing how much harm one person can do...intentionally or involuntarily.

I would like to believe that I am going to ultimately transcend my own difficult past.  But some days I wonder.  Some days I wonder how much I can do...even with all the help I have.  Does that sound pessimistic?  Does it sound realistic?  I'm not exactly sure.


I believe a lot about American society is failing now.  Our political system is being corrupted by an incredible amount of money.  The Supreme Court's recent decision regarding Hobby Lobby convinces me there are many failed people in our society.  By that I mean they profess to be upstanding members of society but their actions contradict their words.  Many individuals, rather than participate fully in civil society, prefer to insulate themselves in the name of their religious beliefs by refusing to be open to even interacting with (let alone provide any number of services to) other Americans.  It's very sad.  The surest way to live a narrow life is to be a narrow person.

In the face of what seems to be a continual unraveling of the capacity of our nation's citizenry to actually agree on anything or get anything done I attempt to remain resolute and optimistic.  But it's very sobering to be an American these days.  Very.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!