Saturday, May 17, 2014

Green Power


Saturday, May 17, 2014


As anyone who follows the weather closely can concur the seasons of the year don’t seem to mean what they once did.  Predictability is going out the window as the weather patterns become more extreme and bizarre.  California began having wildfires months ago…and it’s now only May.  In a typical year it isn’t unreasonable to expect rainfall in the northern half of the state into at least March and often even April.  Rainstorms in May are a bit unusual…but so is a wildfire season that begins months early.

Here in Minnesota it is the second year in a row with a delayed and somewhat meager Spring.  This is also only the second spring I have been living here in Minnesota.  I have thus felt a bit disappointed by the ‘Spring’ weather.  Winter has been hesitant to clearly cede its place to Spring.  But now the world is finally blooming nicely.

Last year at this time I was traveling in Europe as part of my McCloy Fellowship.  It was a bit strange because it seemed the entire season of Spring came and went in the mere nineteen days I was away.  When departing on May 13th of last year the trees were only finally really beginning to bud out.  When I returned on June 1st the world was filled with greenery.  One season seemed to have about nineteen days.  Local meteorologist Paul Douglas calls the extremes of weather both locally and globally ‘weather whiplash’.  I have to say I agree with his assessment.  Predictability is indeed flying out the window.  What is replacing predictability seems a bit…ominous.

At this time last year my eyes were still not functioning as well as they are now.  While standing outside in the bright sunshine this morning I felt a bit overwhelmed by the brilliance of the sunshine.  It’s as if my eyes are becoming drunk on sunlight…as well as everything else.  Everything is so incredibly vivid now that I am finally seeing the world in a clearer way and am more fully present in my own body.  Many days it still feels a bit surreal to be me.  But gradually I am adjusting to the ‘New and Improved Me’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!