Saturday, December 28, 2013

Purging A Litany of Clutter

Saturday, December 28, 2013


It's almost amusing to me when I think back to this past June and how much was inside me that needed attention.  Before once again embarking on a therapeutic journey my mind and body were overflowing with issues that needed attention.  Many of the issues derived from my early life history (what I will call the ages of birth to 10 YOA) in which multiple traumas impacted my development and laid the foundation for what would eventually become a persistent anxiety disorder.  Despite multiple rounds of talk therapy and medication my problems would always seem to resurface later.  The context of the outer world might change (what I was doing for work, where I was living, etc) but the unresolved pain within me seemed to effortlessly magnetize to me the same types of problems.  Then I discovered EMDR.

I think it important to note that I first heard about EMDR while living on the West Coast in 2011.  I was seeing a therapist and doing talk therapy.  He recommended I consider pursuing some therapy that would specifically feature EMDR.  I filed the suggestion in my memory and eventually relocated to the East Coast to pursue an internship with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Silver Spring, Maryland.  I put myself through a lot of needless suffering while living in Washington, D.C.  I didn't really care for the energetic vibe of the place.  And outside of my internship I worked in a low paying fundraising position that caused me more stress than it was worth.  I was walking around with a condition that was better diagnosed as PTSD and still not even aware of it despite all my past therapy.

I have already written repeatedly about how much EMDR transformed my life.  I stand by that statement and grow only more firm in my belief as time passes and I continue to heal.  I have some questions I still have not posed to my therapist due to the fact that there has been so much to work through since I began working with him six months ago.  One primary question I have is this: does the brain start to naturally heal itself of the imprint of traumatic memories after a certain amount of EMDR therapy such that the process continues to unfold without a need for more EMDR oriented sessions?  I have wondered about this because my healing process now seems to have its own momentum.  I often feel as if my own brain now works in a way it never has before.  I cannot ever recall feeling so mentally sharp, physically healthy and optimistic as I do now.  It is not a familiar feeling.

As I continue to purge my brain of the harm I experienced in the past I am undertaking a simultaneous process to organize, simplify and de-clutter my 'outer' life.  I have made the decision to resign from the chorus I began singing in nearly a year ago.  As a means of closing that chapter of my life I will be writing a letter of resignation in which I will provide my own input on my experience of the organization.  Such input is supposedly 'welcome' according to the text of the bylaws of the organization (which I reviewed yesterday).  Just as I have utilized this blog to clear out my own past history and find a way to heal so will I again use writing to address this one particular association which now no longer serves my greatest good.

We are in the 'pit' of winter now.  After a brief thaw yesterday and today temperatures will plunge below 0F for several days.  There is an indiscernible growth in the length of the days nearly a week after the Winter Solstice.  And yet despite these harsh conditions outside I feel so full of life inside.

Each day when I awaken now I ask myself: What is possible today?  What is possible in my life?  I have a feeling 2014 will be an amazing year!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!