Sunday, December 15, 2013

Plunging Into the Deepest of the Unknown

Sunday, December 15, 2013


Something so profound is unfolding in my own life now. I suppose you could call it "the grand awakening". The work I began some six months ago to "improve" my life is starting to pay such handsome returns that I truly wonder what is possible for me and my life now. I am starting to reach a level of health I do not believe I have ever actually enjoyed in my entire life. And that is quite surprising.

I think, among other things, I can thank EMDR therapy for the transformative revolution in my life. Despite the fact that I am an articulate person words often fail me to describe what I am experiencing now. I feel as if I am in my body in a way I never have been before.


Some friends and others have advised me to not be so open on Facebook about what I am experiencing. And caution certainly is a wise principle to follow. And yet because I have decided to call myself a 'PTSD Recovery Advocate" among other titles I feel a certain 'calling' to be open about my personal revolution. Millions of Americans deal with PTSD (knowingly and unknowingly) each and every day. We as a nation and as a planetary community can be so much bigger and healthier than we already are if we will but commit ourselves to moving beyond our egos and recognizing that which unites us more than that which divides us.


Yesterday, while I was attending a healing ceremony at the Basilica of St. Mary, I had this insight into a manner of interpreting a certain prayer you will typically hear in your standard mass. At one point, around the time of the communion service, an officiant will usually say: "Look not upon our sins but upon the faith of your Church." When I heard those words yesterday it seemed as if a light of understanding sparked in my very brain. Put another way the words could be translated as "Focus on that which is positive rather than that which is negative." Put yet another way you could say "Be grateful for what you have and what does work in your life rather than what is not in your life that you would prefer to be there."


Today, during my afternoon yoga class, it felt as if all the muscles in my body were working in a harmonious way that I have not previously felt. I'm still doing some physical therapy to address issues with my neck but somehow I feel myself becoming a person I cannot quite recognize. I find myself moving through feelings of both exhilaration and terror as the days pass and my personal evolution continues.


I hope that one day the blog I regularly write in which I document my journey of restoring my health will prove of some use to the field of medicine, specifically the research focused on ways to heal from PTSD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!