Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Huge Leap Forward: One Major Symptom Is Gone

Wednesday, August 21, 2013


Today was the type of day that gave me high octane encouragement to keep pressing forward in my healing journey.  I had two very encouraging developments.

After my core conditioning class at the Y I noticed that a certain feeling was gone from within me.  I am still feeling a lot of sadness, anger and frustration.  And yet the feeling of depression is gone now.  As soon as I realized the difference in my interior world I rejoiced.  My efforts to improve my health are now paying off.  Having experienced a major depressive episode at an earlier time in my life I can confidently say that there are many affects I would prefer to have compared to that of a depressive one. It's not at all fun to be angry, sad or feel very hurt but at least these states are conditions in which there is a more active energy inside.  Depression, at least to me, has felt like a hollow, frozen, low energy state in which motion itself is difficult to generate.  I'm finally coming out of this darker, more concerning type of affect.

The second development later in the day just reinforced my already growing feeling of encouragement. I learned that the Penny George Institute for Health and Healing awarded me a full scholarship to cover the cost of participating in the Institute's eight week long Resilience Training program.  The program will begin in two weeks.  It features training in formulating an appropriate exercise program, nutritional counseling and mental health support.  I am so excited to be able to participate in this training.  For some time now I have felt that my social support system has not been adequate to my needs.  This program will give me quite the "shot in the arm" to enhance my growth.


I am also encouraged by the fact that I always feel so much better the day after I do a session with my therapist that includes EMDR.  My eyesight always seems especially vivid on the days immediately following such sessions.  It feels as if I am waking up to a new life.

I also went to physical therapy today.  I am finally starting to feel a degree of strength in my body that I have not felt for some time now.  If anything I need to be cautious to not overdo it rather than be concerned about not working hard enough to reinvigorate my health.  There are some days when I have done an hour long class at the YMCA and then I turn around and also do an hour of physical therapy.  That can be a lot to demand of the body!

Tomorrow will be a good day as well.  I am scheduled to meet with a physician from Hennepin County Medical Center in the morning.  I look forward to the dialogue we will have.

Life is getting better all the time!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!