Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Tender Terrain of a Wound

Saturday, February 8, 2014


I just completed my full day of Listening training at the Basilica of St. Mary.  I feel a bit more tired than I expected to.  Being an attentive listener is not always an easy activity to engage in.  I was aware that this class might bring up some of the pain in my own personal history...and it certainly did that.

Described in yet another way the principle issue I have had with my paternal family of origin is feeling that I was never fully seen or appreciated...not just for who I am as an adult but also for the pain I experienced growing up in a household impacted so deeply by mental illness and violence.  The sadness and grief I have carried are continuing to heal as I do therapy.  But I would be lying if I claimed there was none left within me...old grief or otherwise.  In focusing on the topic of attentive listening I could not help but remember how I felt unseen and not fully heard throughout so much of my childhood.  It was deeply painful.  And as I have mentioned in earlier entries in my blog that pain was so severe that I began to unconsciously dissociate as a means of coping.  I finally do not do that now.  Now I am dealing with the grief I feel as I have come into a fuller awareness of how I was perceiving the world with a dulled awareness for so many, many years.

It's still winter outside.  I feel eager for Spring and the beginning of new life.  Who knows when that will begin.  I continue to practice that discipline known as patience.  I do my best to focus on what I can change and pay as little attention as possible to what is beyond my control.  The only person I can truly change is me.

Despite my current slight fatigue I feel grateful for the opportunity to engage in this training.  I found the leadership team professional, insightful and fun to interact with.  I am confident I will have a good experience in the remaining trainings.

I am ready to throw off my serious focus and go have some fun tonight.  And I have made some fun plans!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!