Friday, November 8, 2013

Onward and Upward on the Path of Healing

Friday, November 8, 2013


This was an eventful week.  I completed a two week long day program at Abbott Northwestern Hospital.  I also am no longer scheduled for any additional physical therapy appointments; I went to my last appointment earlier this week.  My shoulder is basically healthy enough that I do not need to go back to see my physical therapist unless I again experience some limitations or significant pain.  And so, approximately three months later, the many challenges I have been facing are now beginning to wane.

I enhanced my existing awareness and self-care skills these last two weeks by allowing myself to be very present in the group therapy sessions I attended.  Being in a room (and often being the only male) with a number of women experiencing mild to severe health issues was a potent means of reminding me of how I felt when my mother was beginning to suffer her schizophrenic breakdown.  I adopted something of a caregiver orientation to the relationships in my life at an early age.  It seemed to become my default setting.  Now I can consciously choose the nature and quality of relationships that I wish to pursue.  I expect that I will have more success developing healthy relationships now that my self-awareness is even greater than it was previously.

I also had the great fortune of interviewing for a job last night.  I had not done that in quite a while.  The interview went well; I hope to hear the results next week.  I have made monumental progress considering the circumstances I faced in late June when I received my diagnosis.  I have been successful in breaking some not so healthy habits and starting or resuming other ones.  As time continues to pass and I remain loyal to my recovery process I am confident I will continue to feel better and better.  It's just a matter of time now.

I am often amazed by how common PTSD seems to be in the population.  I have not looked closely at the many statistics in health science literature that might provide greater insight into the many health issues Americans face.  I wonder if PTSD is a condition that is under-diagnosed.  I suspect it is.  One of the other patients in my day program may very well have PTSD; this was apparently the opinion of the psychiatrist who sees each client of the program throughout their attendance.

I intend to continue writing this blog and welcome others to read and share their thoughts.  Have a lovely weekend.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!