Tuesday, February 3, 2015

To Be Able To Walk Without Pain

Tuesday, February 3, 2015


About eleven weeks ago something started happening which really blindsided me.  My feet started hurting.  The pain came on so suddenly that I felt very perplexed by what was going on.

In the last eleven weeks I have tried to take good care of my feet.  I have tried to take good care of my physical and mental health in general.  I am not sure how much progress I am making.  In other words, I feel confused.

I went to see my podiatrist shortly after my feet became inflamed with pain.  He put me on a medication to treat the inflammation.  Shortly after the pain started I found myself working two different jobs.  I was working for the University of Minnesota in a role that lasted a mere month.  I also worked as a seasonal employee at Macys.  My position at Macys required me to stand for protracted periods of time that could total up to eight hours in a single day.  Sometimes I would walk about the floor I worked on or go to other floors in search of merchandise or for some other reason.  My foot inflammation started before I began working for Macys.  I tried to care for my feet as best as I could.  I think it was the eight days in a row I worked around the time of Christmas that really aggravated the condition of my feet.

I recently was switched back onto the medication my podiatrist originally put me on.  My primary care doctor briefly tried to put me on a different medication.  That one did not work out so well.  I feel as if I am back at square one now.

I am struggling to maintain a positive attitude right now because my life appears to be no more stable and secure than it was two years ago.  I use the word 'appear' because appearances can sometimes be deceiving.  What has changed is that I am no longer carrying around an incredible amount of psychic pain.  I am clearing the old pain out of my psyche.  It has been quite a process.

It is a rather humbling experience to be me lately.  My podiatrist recently gave me new guidelines to follow to help my feet heal.  I am to bear weight on my feet for no more than five to ten minutes per hour of the day.  This guideline significantly restricts my ability to do basic activities such as shopping, food preparation and simply moving about the world.  It could be a full month before the inflammation in my feet sufficiently subsides such that I can live the kind of life I was living before last November.

As has often been the case it seems like my life is a story of two steps forward and one step back.

I feel as if I am being invited to continue to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!