Sunday, February 22, 2015

Forgiveness As A Way Forward

Sunday, February 22, 2015


"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass

I had a rewarding and relaxing weekend.  I am glad that I am continuing to remain committed to my own journey of personal growth.    Diligence and patience can eventually lead you to reap many rewards.

One of the highlights of my weekend was beginning a workshop offered by Mary Hayes Grieco.  The workshop is entitled Forgiving the Unforgivable.  It will meet five Sundays in a row.  According to her website Mary is "a respected spiritual teacher...a pragmatic emotional healer and an uplifting speaker."  She has taught spirituality classes since 1982.

Our initial class meeting today provided me with a definition of forgiveness I do not recall previously hearing: "Forgiveness is releasing an expectation that is causing you to suffer."  As I pondered this description of forgiveness I found myself immediately believing the truth of these words.

The course materials I received today introduced me to a forgiveness method that consists of eight steps.  These steps are as follows:

  • 1- State your will to release this story and move on
  • 2- Express your emotions about what happened
  • 3- Release the expectation(s) you are holding in your mind, one by one
  • 4- Sort out the boundaries: give others responsibility for their actions and take yours; visualize your personal space whole, and filled with light
  • 5- Open up to get your needs met by the Universe in a new way
  • 6- Receive healing from your soul and from Spirit into your body, emotions and mind
  • 7- Send unconditional love to the person or situation, and release them
  • 8- See the good in the person or situation; focus on that point of view

Over the next five weeks (and perhaps beyond) I will likely incorporate the teachings of this course into my daily writings.  We shall see what happens.

......

In other news I found myself thinking of the teenage boy who once tried to murder my father.  I poured out a lot of my heart into my recent writings.  I suppose I will keep adding to the open letter I began last week.

Day in and day out I keep moving forward.  I hope one day to reap the fruits of my dedicated labors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!