Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Softening the Rough Edges

Tuesday, August 19, 2014



The fleeting days of summer’s inevitable ending are now upon us here in Minnesota.  The days are still warm but the night doesn’t recede very easily to dawn’s light.  You can sense that autumn is approaching.

My new professional life is now quickly coming together into a new form.  I will be starting my new position at the Abbott Northwestern Hospital Foundation this coming Monday.  It also appears I will be working part time for the University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management…at least on a part-time temporary basis.  I am still not doing what I ultimately want to do but at least I am taking steps in the right direction.  I frequently remind myself that patience is a virtue.  I am still a work in progress regarding that important quality.

I have chosen to seek out some additional physical therapy for my left shoulder.  It seems that my personal training session yesterday morning may have aggravated the condition of my shoulder.  I’ll also be checking in with my primary care doctor in two weeks.  I find my unexpected bouts of excessive sweating a bit annoying to say the least.  They also can leave me feeling a bit socially awkward if they happen while I am in a setting that requires some amount of poise and grace.

My sadness still is with me.  But like the gentle action of the water of a stream smoothing away the rough edges of rocks in its bed I feel my own sadness softening over time.  I continue to feel better and better.  I can honestly say that I truly believe I will one day no longer feel encumbered by the horrific events of my earliest years of life.  The steadfast loyalty of friendship is helping me make my way.  The extensive support network I have painstakingly created in the last year has also been instrumental.  And then there is the inevitable passage of time.  Some people would say that time heals all wounds.  I am not sure that I am convinced of that.  But I am convinced that a life marked by significant, conscious and consistent practices of self-care can be a good quality life.  Deep wounds can eventually heal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!