Sunday, August 10, 2014

Die Verwandlung

Sunday, August 10, 2014


I took four years of German language when I was a high school student.  I still vividly remember reading Die Verwandlung.  It's a piece of classic German literature.  And I've been thinking about this story recently as I go through my own metamorphosis.

As we move deeper into the season of Summer towards the inevitable ripening of crops and harvest time of autumn I continue to marvel at the beauty of the green world around me.  I don't find myself marveling at the alive world many, many moments of most days but I do catch myself noticing it enough to subsequently appreciate that I am obviously still adjusting to the transformation which began last year.  I suppose this is what happens when a longstanding pattern of unconscious dissociation finally comes to an end.  New life can rush in to take the place of the old.

Tomorrow I am going to take another flying leap into the Unknown.  I am going to go watch the rehearsal of a men's choir I learned about at the Germanic American Institute based in St. Paul.  This men's choir sings songs in German.  It's appealing to me to consider joining as it would give me an outlet to maintain a more living connection to my German heritage.

This week promises to be a full one.  I will be completing my last week in my current position at Abbott Northwestern Hospital.  Thereafter I expect to begin a new position with the Abbott Northwestern Hospital Foundation in late August.  I will meanwhile continue my exercise regimen (which I complement with working with my personal trainer), continue writing my blog, continue researching materials related to recovery from trauma and continue meditating on the possibilities for my future life.  It was only this last week that I finally began to feel relatively comfortable and adapted to working full time again.

Now that I am in my forties it seems it's finally a suitable time to have a real adolescence.  It is no wonder that a story with a title like Die Verwandlung would speak so much to me now.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!