Saturday, March 29, 2014

Protesting

Saturday, March 29, 2014


"I think you doth protest too much."

I am wondering how many people will think that tonight when I protest here at Ted Mann Concert Hall on the University of Minnesota campus. I have been very circumspect and careful in my thought process as I debated the value of protesting the Twin Cities Gay Men's Chorus's concert tonight.

In one sense I find it difficult to do this because it is not characteristic of the person I once was. In other words, the person I was before I finally found good, truly successful treatment last summer would not have been so determined to make a statement publicly in the form of a protest. I did not grow up in a family that really protests much of anything. And yet I realize in the very fiber of my being that the person I am revealing this evening by protesting is completely true to the person I really am.

...

My plan to protest did not unfold as I had planned. I had a University of Minnesota Police officer approach me while I was on campus and inform me I could not actually be inside Ted Mann Concert Hall without a ticket. Apparently my intention to protest had raised the ire of at least a few people within the organization. I was going to walk around to the front of the building and stand at least twenty-five feet from the entrance and protest but before I could complete the walk I ran into two people I know from the Executive Committee of the chorus. After a conversation in the increasingly chilly wind I decided to leave.

It's time for me to let this go.  I cannot extract any real measure of justice regarding what I went through last summer.  And I don't want to be reminded of it anymore.  I want to move forward.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!