Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Is There An Ethical Obligation To Act?

Wednesday, March 26, 2014


I met with Fr. Bauer of the Basilica of St. Mary this past weekend.  I sought out an opportunity to meet with him because I have been seeking to find some way to find that illustrious gift known as 'closure' regarding questions that have lingered in my mind for many years.  I specifically wanted to glean his insight as to whether Catholic teaching includes anything that I would call 'an ethical obligation to act'.  Allow me to explain.

Something that has long confused me is the response (or apparent lack thereof) my father's siblings (and his parents) made in the immediate days following the attempted murder that nearly claimed his life.  I have spoken of this time period in my life previously in my blog.  An entry from last year (written on August 9, 2013) specifically devoted to this topic is entitled 'June 3, 1982'.  Basically, it had always confused me how people who consider themselves practicing Catholics would not show more curiosity regarding one of their own siblings if said sibling was nearly murdered by his own spouse.  There are certain incidents that quite naturally ought to spur an investigation or at least raise the curiosity of people.  I think attempted murder would fit within this category.  Apparently I am unique in my thoughts in this regard in relation to the event I am referencing.  You see I simply could not understand how a reasonable person of sound mind would not wonder if perhaps there were more serious issues in a household in which such violence erupts.

If I had grown up with no ethical frame of reference based in a religious tradition I suspect I would not feel as I do.  Not to sound trite but there can be something valuable to imagining 'what Jesus would do' in a given scenario.  And I cannot imagine that Jesus would take attempted murder very lightly.  Such an incident has a way of violating that particular commandment to not kill.

In speaking with Fr. Bauer I essentially learned there is apparently no formalized doctrine or tenet that conceives of something such as an ethical obligation to act.  However, what does exist that is relevant is  Jesus's instruction to love one another.  The question, of course, is what does loving one another tangibly look like?  For example, there are some whose theology is so warped that they believe vilifying, killing or discriminating against gay people somehow glorifies God.  In my opinion any theology that promotes the denigration, disrespect or destruction of anything naturally occurring in the world is a warped theology.  One can find plenty of such 'theology' in the United States.  Such warped thinking infuses much of the 'Christian' Right in this country.  Is this my opinion?  Yes.  Is this verifiable fact?  I would say it is.

I suppose I will never understand the behavior of many people in general as well as some members of my family of origin in particular.  And I have struggled with attempting to reconcile my confusion.  I have attempted to be an active part of the lives of people whom I love and yet whose behavior confounds me.  And I realize I can find a way to do this...to a point.  Past a certain point it simply feels very unhealthy to me.  And I need to honor how I feel.


In the last month I have felt as if my progress forward has come to a screeching halt.  But as I noted in speaking with my therapist last night we all need to take rest breaks from time to time.  I cannot be 'on' twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.  There must be a balance in life.  And gradually, just as the snow is gradually melting outside, I am finding my way back to balance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!