Monday, September 29, 2014

The Time of Skittering Leaves

Monday, September 29, 2014


The notable warmth of yesterday afternoon has been replaced by a fresh wind with a northerly component.  Summer is now passing away.  The time of skittering leaves (aka Autumn) is now upon us.  And I feel excited about this new season!  I often liked Autumn when I was a kid.  Growing up in Texas as a kid who did not enjoy the heat I embraced the change of seasons away from summer with immense enthusiasm.  The warm climate of Texas was one reason (among many) that I eventually left the state.

The change of seasons is always a good time to pause and take note of the changes that have occurred in our own lives since the previous season began.  The summer of 2014 now essentially stands in the past.  I did a lot of work this past summer.  I not only had paying work that met my basic daily needs but I also continued the work of personal recovery which I began documenting in this blog in July, 2013.  It was a busy, productive time.

It appears it has come time for me to finally become much better about saying 'No' and setting clear boundaries to define what I want to experience and what I do not want to experience.  Some events from the last couple of weeks have confirmed the necessity of taking this step forward.

Courage is always a necessary ingredient in making purposeful, powerful and needed changes.  I would not be where I am today without an immense amount of courage.  And yet courage does us no good if we do not actually make use of our storehouse of it.  Change often happens one of two ways.  We either are compelled to change by outside circumstances or we make an 'interior choice' to change and then proceed to alter our external reality to match our needs and desires.

The week beginning today feels a bit like walking a gauntlet.  I'm doing a fair bit of conscious prayer and breathing to welcome in the changes I need to create.  The present moment often contains more possibilities than we might be aware of.  An important tool of living an effective, productive and fulfilling life is to carry this awareness of your personal power with you...and not forget it!


Post Script 

Fifty Day Challenge, Day #4

My healthy activities for today:
  • I attended a core conditioning class at the Blaisdell YMCA this morning.  I chatted briefly with the teacher of the class at the end and enjoyed reconnecting with her.  I first attended this class last year
  • I am going to meet a friend for lunch at The Aliveness Project
  • I am focusing my attention on consciously breathing and noting when my mind begins to wander



No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!