Thursday, September 4, 2014

If Your Eyes Could Speak


Thursday, September 4, 2014


“If your eyes could speak what would they say” – Max, The Book Thief


During this past long weekend I took some time to watch a few movies.  The one I most remember a few days later is The Book Thief (Die Buecherdiebin).

As a man of Germanic heritage (my mother is a native citizen of Germany) I have had the privilege of visiting the country of my mother’s citizenry numerous times.  I most recently visited Germany in May, 2013.  It was my most recent visit that catapulted me onto the path I am on now.  Looking back it is clear that the grief of losing her when I was a small child was something I never dealt with in a healthy, conscious way.  But then again that was quite unlikely considering I was about five years old when my parents’ marriage permanently ended.  Upon my return from Germany last year my dream of one day living and working in Germany on a long-term basis reawakened inside me.  I began to plot a new course for myself last year.  I have written this blog as an expression of the unfolding journey of my new course.

Like many people of Germanic heritage I have relatives who were swept up in the tumultuous events of World War II.  My mother’s father served in the War on the side of Nazi Germany.  Many of the details of my grandfather’s life during the time of the war remain a mystery to me now.  And I know I am not alone in this experience.  World War II was such an immense trauma for the people of Europe.  The legacy of that time is still playing out in the lives of people one, two and even three generations removed from those who lived during the time of World War II.  I hope one day to learn more about my grandfather’s life.  It is one of many dreams I carry in my heart.

The Book Thief is a compelling drama (based on a book of the same name written by Markus Zusak) that unfolds during the time immediately before and during World War II.  The main character is a girl, Liesel, who is placed with foster parents due to the fact that her mother fled Germany (her mother was a Communist).  It quickly becomes apparent that Liesel is illiterate; she struggles to write her name on the chalkboard at school.  The arc of the story shows Liesel’s life as the Nazi party carries Germany, and inevitably Europe, into the catastrophic destruction of World War II.  Liesel ultimately benefits immensely as a result of her new life under the influence of her foster parents, a Jewish man named Max that the family helps to hide away to escape Nazi detection, her friend Rudi and the kindness of Ilsa, the wife of the local mayor.  For a more detailed description of the plot you can find it here on Wikipedia.

I found the story touching for a number of reasons.  I especially enjoyed the juxtaposition of Liesel’s love of reading against the broad sweep of events as Europe descends into war.  Liesel sought out the power and beauty of words as the Nazis held book burning rituals and rallies to unite the populace in support of Hitler.  True learning is a very empowering experience and its impact can be even more readily appreciated when the culture around you is simultaneously journeying on a path to self-destruction.

A particular phrase from the movie remains with me now. At one point Max says to Liesel: “If your eyes could speak what would they say?”  I have been thinking about Max’s words since last weekend.  His single, concise question captures something of my own sense of wonder as I have found myself appreciating my own eyesight in a way I never did previously.  Though I had laser correction surgery on my eyes over four years ago the outcome of that, though memorable, pales in comparison to what has unfolded as a result of the treatment I began last summer.  I have written extensively throughout my blog about the immense benefit I have found in psychotherapy which has been complemented by EMDR therapy.  I feel as if my eyes ‘drink in’ the world now in a way they never did before.  If my own eyes could speak they would have a lot to say!

I find myself still regularly marveling at the beauty of the world around me.  And I also often marvel at the beauty of the men I see each day.  Spending a part of my day five days a week on the University of Minnesota campus offers something of a feast for my eyes!  My breath has stopped in my lungs a few times when I have been walking on the campus.  And though it may sound like an afterthought I do notice the beauty of women who populate my daily life as well.

When a childlike wonder regarding the world around me fills my heart and mind and yet I am obviously most definitely not a child chronologically speaking I can’t help but believe that such wonder is an indicator that something very profound is happening inside me.  It’s something like a profound awakening that now consumes me.



If your own eyes could speak what would they say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!