Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Day My Mother Brought Me Into The World


Sunday, September 14, 2014


I just completed an hour long yoga class at the YMCA.  I followed the class with seven laps in the pool.  I chose to do seven laps because the number seven is a number associated with fortune.  You can never sow too much good fortune on the anniversary day of your birth!

I think it’s only natural that we think about our parents on our birthdays.  And I believe this holds true regardless of the nature of the relationship we have with them.  I have been thinking about my mother who gave birth to me early on a Friday morning in Irving, Texas a little over four decades ago.  I have lived such an interesting and eventful life so far.  I have seen amazing and beautiful places from the shores of the Hawaiian Islands to that part of Norway which lies north of the Arctic Circle.  I have seen amazing storms, developed friendships with fascinating people and experienced the vast panoply of human emotions.    I have experienced joy and hardship.  Today I wish to recommit my life to focusing on the positive, joyful, wondrous qualities of each and every day that l live.  We can find magic in the world if our eyes and hearts are truly open to experience it.

As I have undergone an amazing awakening, much of which can be bookended by my birthday last year and my birthday today, I have found myself repeatedly marveling at how much pain I was carrying around for much of my life and how I was so dimly aware of this reality.  I’ve exorcised much of it this past year.

Decades later I still miss my mother.  I still carry the thoughts of wondering what she could have been if she hadn't become ill.  I still wonder who I might have become if she had not become ill.  Who might my father be now if his first marriage had not fallen apart?  I realize I can only spend so long reflecting on these questions as to what could have been.  Living in the past will not serve me now.  Somehow I have to come to terms fully with what did and did not happen.  I have done much of the work I needed to do since this time last year.

My grief still remains with me but its dark quality is gradually changing.  As I noted recently, the following phrase appeared in a hypnosis session with my therapist within the last month: 

“The darkness is casting light” 

Try decoding that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!