Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Desperate Race Against Time


Wednesday, September 10, 2014


Yesterday evening I enjoyed the opportunity to converse with the friend of a friend via Skype.  After I finally resolved a slight technology challenge I was able to settle into a conversation…that ultimately lasted about an hour.

At one point near the end of our conversation I referenced an aspect of my journey of healing that I still find challenging to live with on a daily basis.  On occasion I feel that I am placing myself under an immense amount of pressure to ‘make up for lost time’.  As I have come to deeply appreciate the truth of the reality that I really and truly felt some of my most basic needs were going unmet for much of my childhood I sometimes have felt myself consumed with a bit of a reactivity that, if not consciously acknowledged and somewhat ‘tamed’, could prove harmful to me. 

I want to relish life and the abundance of possibilities that are still open to me.  And I also find myself feeling very much like an adolescent.  I notice the beauty of men on a daily basis.  Going to the Eagle bar in Minneapolis is often a special treat for my eyes and other senses.  I find myself consistently marveling at the beauty of the natural world around me as well.  Today, while in my office at the Abbott Northwestern Hospital Foundation, I found myself noticing the intricate and yet simple beauty of a sunflower sitting on my desk.  It’s amazing how much complexity is inherent in some of the most simple forms that beauty will manifest itself through.

To live too much in the past or the future is to live very little at all.  When I visit with my therapist each week I spend time addressing how the past still often affects me now in the present.  I still have my moments in which I find myself feeling a bit reactive.  Other times I find myself feeling anxious and yet also feeling completely mystified as to the source of the anxiety…as if it will always be so obvious what is ‘causing’ it.  My angst sometimes feels a bit like the angst that an adolescent might feel as puberty opens a brand new world of experience.  I am obviously long past chronological puberty but it’s not unusual for people to experience something of a second flowering at some point in their adult lives.  And I think this can be downright common for people who experienced significant abuse, oppression or hardship at some point in their lives.  As the veil of trauma has finally lifted from my eyes I am seeing the world again…for the first time.

The Autumnal Equinox is a short two weeks away.  And yet the change of seasons cannot be denied now.  A cold rain was forecast for today for the last several days.  It’s too early for a chill north wind to strip the trees of their leaves but the time is fast approaching when the trees will turn colors and charm those of us who are charmed by the whirl of the seasons.

This journey of healing has left me genuinely fascinated with my own eyesight, with the faculty of vision, with the texture of light and with a world I previously only dimly saw.  What an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!