Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Moment of Gratitude

Sunday, September 21, 2014


I had an awesome workout at the YMCA this morning.  I spent forty minutes on the stairmaster and then did some exercises to continue to improve my shoulder strength and range of motion.  After leaving the Y I went to the Eagle to have brunch with a few friends.

I have found myself repeatedly savoring the sharp contours of this nearly autumn day.  Today is technically the last full day of summer.  The Autumnal Equinox will take place tomorrow at 9:29 PM Central Daylight Time.  Hints of the coming change of seasons have been appearing for several weeks now though.  The shortening days became noticeable in August.  And the leaves on some trees began changing colors as early as the beginning of September.

The change of seasons can serve as an excellent time to assess the current quality of our lives.  Changes we might wish to make in our own lives can sometimes feel a bit more sensible and easy to implement when the world beyond our windows also features obvious and unavoidable change.

I can feel my enthusiasm and zest for life finally beginning to really return.  The change of seasons is certainly stoking my own excitement.  But I am also excited due to the fact that the new healthy life I have been actively working to create is now really starting to manifest.  My longstanding, deeply ingrained disposition to needlessly worry is finally really beginning to break down.  I am learning how to live a life free of burdensome anxiety.  And I find myself gradually adjusting more and more to what such a life feels like to actually live.

I know I will miss the warm season.  For example I recently found myself noticing the delight I take in it being warm enough outside to wear a tank top and gym shorts.  Those days will soon be gone.  And yet there is such a difference between the present moment and this same time of year last year.  Even though fall is beginning and winter will inevitably follow it I know that the time chill, silence and solitude will also inevitably end.

Life is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!