Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Complexity of PTSD

Tuesday, September 23, 2014


Earlier this summer I consulted another mental health care practitioner.  I sought out a second opinion in part because I believe getting a second opinion can be a very wise thing to do.  This practitioner, Dr. Valtinson, introduced me to the idea of Complex PTSD.  This yet to be created diagnostic term has been advanced by Judith Herman of Harvard University as a way to describe a constellation of symptoms that may be present in individuals who have been subjected to prolonged and/or repeated trauma.

I did some research on the topic of creating the new diagnostic term 'Complex PTSD'.  I found it a bit eerie when I came to feel myself being described in the six different criteria that may distinguish a person as having Complex PTSD rather than 'garden-variety' PTSD.  You can find more information on this subject and the six criterion I referenced by looking here.

My consultation with Dr. Valtinson took place near the one year anniversary of the PTSD diagnosis I received from my current therapist, Jeffry Jeanetta-Wark, in June, 2013.  Jeffry is a good therapist.  If you want to learn more about him visit his website.

As my healing journey has unfolded and deepened I have gained a measure of hindsight and wisdom which I could not easily come to fifteen months ago.  Whether you or anyone you care about has 'basic' PTSD or a more advanced case that could meet the criteria for Complex PTSD is, in one sense, irrelevant.  Regardless of whether you are clinically diagnosable for PTSD or not I believe it is true that the journey of healing is often not a simple one.  It can be quite a complex one.  Healing can be something like assembling a giant jigsaw puzzle filled with a dazzling variety of colors.  Why would healing be something like a time consuming puzzle?  Healing is like a puzzle because there are so many elements to consider.  Think about how many elements there are which are vital to a healthy, productive life.  Major factors that will contribute to, or work against, your health include (but are not limited to) your diet, professional life, network of friends and family, level of education, openness to continued education and growth and your past health history.

Today I made a visit to a dietician on the Abbott Northwestern Hospital campus.  I sought out assistance with my diet because it is another piece in my own 'puzzle of healing' that I need to give some significant attention to.  I began keeping a dietary journal eight days ago.  Considering the fact that I maintain this daily blog taking the additional step of documenting what I eat, when I eat it and so on should be relatively easy.

The results of my consultation were encouraging.  Even though my cholesterol has become a bit high (and certainly increased markedly in the last fifteen months) I am confident that some adjustment to my diet will start to bring my level of bad cholesterol back down.  Eating well and consciously is just another important piece in my journey of healing.  One major habit I need to break is my tendency to eat out too much.  It's not the type of food I consume when eating out that is problematic but rather the cost I incur when doing so.  Eating out can become quite expensive.

Between my dietary consultation, my early arrival at work today and the two hour volunteer orientation I completed this evening I can easily say I had a very full day.  And tomorrow is going to be quite a full day as well.  Among other important skills to cultivate in the journey of restoring your health is the ability to pace yourself.  I need to be mindful not to 'burn my candle at both ends'.

I do not feel the deep sadness that temporarily consumed my awareness yesterday evening.  Perhaps I am too tired in this moment to even feel much of my sadness.  But it is still there.  There is still more work to do.  I have done enough for today.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!