Monday, May 25, 2015

What Would You Do...With Four Extra Years?

Monday, May 25, 2015


How does it happen that the years of a human life can seem to just absolutely fly by? How is it possible that I arrived in San Francisco exactly sixteen years ago today after driving across the United States and leaving Chicago on May 18th?  Where did sixteen years go? It seems almost bizarre how the time in my own life seems to have flown.

Earlier this year I reconciled myself to the distinct possibility that some measure of the sadness I carry may never completely disappear. Now that I no longer find myself expending so much energy to resist my sadness I can use that energy to do something else.  I feel it would be ideal to use that newly available energy to create a better future.

The future. Sixteen years. Four years. Two years. Time has been on my mind a lot lately. I had my annual physical exam this past week. I was encouraged by the fact that my blood pressure and cholesterol readings moved in the direction of greater health. I decided to be a bit obsessive and input my new numbers into the ShareCare website. I wanted to reassess what my "real age" is as opposed to my chronological age. For those not in the know your "real age" is the age your body effectively is as a consequence of the ways you do and do not take good care of your health. The concept is simple. Unhealthy habits tend to increase both the risk and the reality of premature aging. Healthy habits can slow or even reverse aging. After entering my new numbers I discovered my "real age" is four years younger than my chronological age. So it seems I might have four extra years to...spend.

Four years is the time a person might take to complete an undergraduate college degree. A person who has gone through a horrific health ordeal might be able to completely heal within four years...if not sooner. A lot can happen in four years. So what do I want to do with my one wondrous life?

I clearly recognize one thing I want to do. I want to see some really beautiful places throughout the world. And if possible I would like to see some places I have already seen. But this time I would be seeing those parts of the world as a different man.

......

My dream life continues to be very active and vivid. I haven't been very proactive in writing down my dreams when I wake up the following morning. Sometimes I simply don't have the time set aside to do so. On other occasions the particular details of my dream fade so quickly that I can hardly recall them after taking a shower or eating breakfast.

I am very intrigued by what my dream life may be like once I completely titrate off my last major medication in July.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!