Friday, May 29, 2015

Diversity

Friday, May 29, 2015


Today I am going to very briefly write about the value of diversity.

Diversity has become a popular word in recent decades:

People celebrate diversity with special annual events. This is often especially true for populations of people who have historically been marginalized and underserved.

Diversity in the workplace is also a significant issue. I personally believe diversity is a very critical value. Our society is made stronger by the diversity of cultures, backgrounds, skills and perspectives that people can bring to a common endeavor. Many types of people have been relegated to second class citizen status due to some aspect of their identities. This reality is unfortunately still all too real in many parts of the world. But I would like to believe we as a collective are moving in a good direction.

A diversity of life experiences can prove very influential in our own personal development. This has certainly been true for me. I feel fortunate to have enjoyed the educational, travel and professional opportunities I have experienced thus far in my life.

Diversity in the natural world is vital. A common form of diversity is biodiversity. Our world is made richer and more resilient by virtue of the vast number of flora and fauna that populate our planet. For all the immense knowledge accumulated by the diligent work of practitioners within the natural sciences we humans still know relatively little about many of the species we share the planet with. There is so much about this planet we still do not know...even now in the year 2015.


So what of diversity and trauma?

Untreated trauma can reduce our perception of the world to the equivalent of a black and white photograph of a stark landscape. Trauma can harm our capacity to see the manifold possibilities in our own lives as well as the beauty of the world outside our very skin. I have developed a renewed appreciation of this reality in the last two years.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!