Saturday, May 23, 2015

Climbing Out Of Hardship...Alone

Saturday, May 23, 2015


Healing from trauma can require an immense amount of strength, dedication and resources. Certain factors can make healing even more challenging. To be a member of a vulnerable population is but one important factor to consider. Vulnerable populations may include children, the developmentally disabled, those with serious physical health conditions and the elderly. I found myself pondering these factors that can contribute to or detract from the quality of our lives while reading about the experience of life in America.  It's easy to find sobering reading these days.

According to one article I found today the value of 60% has two significant meanings. America's wealth grew by 60% in the last six years. And the number of homeless children here in America also grew by 60%. So it's clear all that wealth creation is not being distributed very evenly. Indeed, we here in America seem to be witnessing the development of two classes. These are the haves and have-nots.  The middle class has been getting hollowed for a number of years. The article I have noted lists the following additional disturbing statistics:

  • The United States of America is a "world leader" in child poverty
  • Over half of public school students are poor enough to qualify for lunch subsidies
  • Today approximately two of every ten children rely on food stamps as a source of food support in America
  • The United States is one of only two nations that have not ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.  The other nation is...South Sudan.

Recovering from trauma is difficult enough. Healing from trauma in a nation that offers so little to some of the most vulnerable among us can make the challenge much more immense. Our corporations and millionaires are coddled while the number of homeless children continues to grow.

Something is very wrong in this nation. It's no wonder why stomach nearly turns acidic when I hear of the latest brazen callousness on display by certain members of our Congress. How can we create a sustainable future when the priorities of our nation are so skewed? I believe we need a nation defined by human values rather than the endless pursuit of excess wealth.

Despite the aforementioned grim statistics I personally am feeling fairly good these days. My sadness is still with me. But the beauty of May acts like a balm to my psyche. In my worldview joy and prosperity are the birthright of every person.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!