Friday, December 26, 2014

A Joyful Christmas

Friday, December 26, 2014


I reached another milestone yesterday.  I celebrated my first Christmas without a clinical case of PTSD. My life changed immensely for the better in 2014.

The highlight of my Christmas day took place during my visit to my friend Carol's house.  I first met Carol last year when I first competed in the Mister Minneapolis Eagle contest.  Carol was one of the judges.  I put an ornament on what Carol called her Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  I plucked an ornament from a collection of them without looking at what my hand was touching.  The ornament I picked was a star with an inset picture of a dog with a bow around its beck and the word 'Joy' written in the empty space next to the dog.

I wish joy to be a primary quality of my daily life in 2015.  That might be a demanding task to accomplish but given what I have achieved in the last eighteen months I certainly believe I can continue to transform my life in such a way that I cultivate joy each day.  Mindfulness will certainly help me to create joyful moments.

I thought of my paternal family of origin yesterday.  It would have been difficult for me not to have thought of them.  And the thought did cross my mind to call some of the members of my father's family.  But I ultimately chose not to.  And looking back I am glad I did not.  Some distance was and is necessary.  Maybe one day I can approach my family again.  As for now I feel myself gradually leaving the grief behind.

I think 2015 will be my best year yet.  How could it not be given how much work I have done in the last eighteen months?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!