Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A Thanksgiving In Which There Is Much To Be Thankful For

Wednesday, November 26, 2014


I had another magical moment this morning.  It was one of those times when I find it almost effortless to believe that my future is indeed going to be greater than my past.  I unexpectedly met the executive director of a local organization whose mission aligns with the type of person I strive to be in the world.
I believe 2015 can be my best year ever.  That is my dream.

I met with my therapist last night.  It was my last meeting with him in the month of November.  It was a productive session though what we focused on during our ninety minutes of time together was not something I preferred to focus on.  We spent the session time helping me to prepare for the hearing I am scheduled to attend on Tuesday, December 9th.  This hearing is an appeal hearing regarding unemployment benefits I received in 2013 and early 2014.  And so, regardless of the fact that I do not want to go through this experience, I will have to relive July, 2013 (to some degree) when I attend this hearing and speak about what was happening in my life at that time.

Reliving trauma can be re-traumatizing.  It is my intention that this not occur next month.  I am determined to continue making forward progress in my healing journey despite whatever challenging or unexpected circumstances may arise.  This is sometimes much easier said than done.  But at least I have a supportive network of care providers, friends and others to be available for me during this time in my life.

I am going to end my post today by writing about what I am thankful for.  I am thankful that...

  • This is my first Thanksgiving without the impact of my early life history of trauma unduly burdening me
  • I have health insurance which has made my healing process financially feasible. (Without the excellent health insurance I currently possess I might not be where I am today)
  • I have loyal friends who have remained my friends through both easy and difficult times
  • My physical health is generally good
  • I have an intact capacity to learn and walk away from unhealthy situations and people
  • I am willing to accept help even if it feels humbling and frustrating
  • I am employed in a setting that may ultimately lead to other better opportunities in the future
  • I continue to possess the determination and drive to improve my life


Happy Thanksgiving!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!