Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Do You See What I See?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013


If you had to lose one aspect of your health what would you willingly give up?  It's not a fun question.  But it has been on my mind lately due to a certain phenomenon that I hesitate to use the term 'symptom' for.  Calling it a symptom is something I would prefer not to do as it would seem to perhaps wrongly associate it with the other health concerns I was addressing earlier this year.

During my trip to Germany in May of this year I began experiencing infrequent bouts of blurred vision.  The instances of such vision would be very fleeting in nature.  Usually they would pass within ten to fifteen seconds.  At first I could discern no rhyme or reason to their occurrence.  As they continued I began to pay closer attention.  I began to notice they would often occur when I was making a transition from being outdoors to going inside a building.  These moments would also take place when I would be in a rush or feeling fairly stressed.

My intrigue only grew this past summer when I began noticing a new phenomenon that occurred almost always after doing an EMDR session with my therapist.  I have noted this in other postings here on my blog.  With the variety of health issues I found myself dealing with this past summer this strange additional eye issue proved to be all the more disconcerting.  At this point it seems it must be somehow stress related.

Seeing what others see is certainly an interesting idea.  We all experience the same physical outer world in our local communities and yet how we interpret our common experiences varies greatly from person to person.  These days of the ongoing partial government shutdown certainly offer some rich fodder to appreciate this truth.  This unfolding saga is being interpreted in a multiplicity of ways according to people's political affiliation, age, gender, sexual orientation, race and so on.  Yet despite our differences I believe we can agree on one universal truth.  I believe we all can agree that each of us has the same basic needs for nourishment, safety, shelter and opportunity to make a good life for ourselves and contribute to our communities.  It's very sad that human greed and corporate power are gravely distorting our supposed democracy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!