Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Financial Future

Thursday, November 5, 2015


I went to a networking event this evening. It was offered by Catherine Byers Breet at the Basilica of St. Mary in Minneapolis. I always enjoy hearing Catherine speak because she is so enthusiastic about the work she does. People who are passionate about their work are the type of people I want to hang out with. After her presentation a gentleman who works for Thrivent Financial spoke about important aspects of managing your financial life. It caused me to think about my own financial future.

I would like to believe that I am going to somehow have a financial future worth remembering and even...celebrating. But I sometimes struggle to maintain a positive outlook about this part of my future. And it's not for lack of trying that I nonetheless have some fears about my future. No, I have fears about the future due to the misplaced priorities I feel our nation has become enmeshed in. And I don't really feel I see the political will present in this country that is necessary to bring about some significant and needed reforms. With income inequality a major problem in this nation I wonder how realistic it now is for many Americans to expect a decent quality of life. I will leave my dear readers to define 'decent' for themselves.

Trauma can destroy many aspects of a person's life. And a financial future is certainly one of those aspects. I feel fortunate to be where I am today. In a monetary sense I am poor. But my ability to enjoy my life each and every day is really the best it has ever been. As I noted in my most recent posting some people who suffer a trauma will never completely recover from it. So I am already more fortunate than many, many people. I may currently be low on the rungs of the socioeconomic ladder but I finally am enjoying some things I rarely did before. I have a peace of mind borne of much inner work and contemplation. I have a capacity to listen that I am daily refining through my work. And I can go to bed at night feeling content with the work ethic I bring to the important issue of homelessness in America.

Despite my occasional rumination about what my future will be in one, two or five years from now I know that I will sleep well tonight.

When undertaking a long journey of healing it is vital to cultivate a capacity for patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!