Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Beautiful Gift of Hawai'i

Tuesday, September 17, 2013


Anybody who knows me relatively well knows that I have a strange, magical and mystical relationship with the Hawaiian Islands.

I first journeyed to the island of Maui nearly ten years ago while a student of Naropa University.  At the time I was attending a masters degree program offered through a collaboration between Naropa University and the University of Creation Spirituality (UCS).  UCS was created through the vision of Matthew Fox.  Fox is a former Dominican who was excommunicated from the Catholic Church.  My primary mentor in my studies was Dr. Pamela Colorado.  Dr. Colorado offered a concentration of study in indigenous science.  When I began the program I had no idea what a wild ride I was in for!  I'll plan to share more of that history in later posts.

As I have already noted I was away this past week at the Minnesota Men's Conference.  On Friday I received an unexpected email.  I was contacted by the Hui Ho'olana Healing Arts Center on the island of Moloka'i.  I first journeyed to the Hui on Moloka'i in May, 2011 to participate in a breathwork retreat offered by the very talented breathwork facilitator Christian de la Huerta.  I participated in this retreat as a way to reward myself for completing graduate school.  Last Friday I was asked if I would be interested in coming to Moloka'i this October to assist with the opening of the facility for the new season and to lend my energy to the reforestation work the Hui is known for.  Needless to say I was quite surprised by the email and quite enthusiastic to receive such an invitation.  It was also amusing to note that only a few moments before I opened my computer I had put on the only Hawaiian print shirt I had brought with me.  Hawai'i finds me wherever I go.

The next morning, on the occasion of my birthday, I went to the main lodge at Camp Miller for breakfast.  I first decided to get some tea.  I pulled out a mug from the top dish rack.  It happened to be the only mug on the entire property with an image of the Hawaiian Islands on it.  I took this as an indication that Hawaii was indeed in my future.  I remember how much I smiled and laughed when I saw Hawaii in my vision...literally.

Later on Saturday I received the email confirming acceptance of my application to assist in October.  It was such an amazing gift to receive on my birthday.

I now must recount but one of many stories that documents how Hawai'i always finds me.  Very early this year I was walking downtown.  It was a cold winter day.  I noticed a van in a parking lot.  It was a Kona Brewing Company fan.  It just so happened that my keychain has a miniature longboard with the Kona logo on it.  The "coincidence" was not lost upon me.  I distinctly recall feeling that Hawai'i was indeed calling me.  The truth of the matter is that I meet people connected to Hawaii wherever I go.  It happens effortlessly.  And this is but one example of this.


Today I began a fundraising campaign to raise the money necessary to make this trip in October.  If you are interested in assisting me please visit my project site at the following link:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/restoring-the-plant-life-of-moloka-i-island/x/4781838

As I have continued to write this blog I have noticed that I have enjoyed a viewership in other countries including Russia, Germany and France.  If you would like to contribute I welcome your support.  And you are also welcome to leave comments on my blog site.  Thank you for following me!  I plan to continue writing while in Hawai'i.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!