Sunday, September 27, 2015

Revelations At The Library

Sunday, September 27, 2015


Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back — concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:

that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.


Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.

~ Goethe




Roseville, Minnesota, the community of my current residence, does not strike me as an overly exciting place. I heard the familiar drone of Friday night high school football when I arrived home the other evening. In some way hearing such sounds remind me I am very much living within the borders of the United States. Friday night football is a very American tradition.

The quietude I associate with Roseville stands in stark contrast to what I have experienced at the Ramsey County public library on this Sunday afternoon. It has been an eventful day! I finally was able to articulate, in fairly clear prose, what I would like to do in my future professional life once my current commitment ends approximately August 1, 2016. I want to relocate to Hawaii and synthesize my passions for the beauty of the world and human development with my skills in research, community engagement, education and writing.

For the longest time I felt creatively...hindered. Artists would perhaps call it something like writing block. I simply could not clearly visualize what I wanted to do next. And I still do not have "absolute" clarity now. I don't know what sorts of doors of opportunity may open up to me now that I have a clearer vision of which professional doors I want to go knocking on. But at least I am much closer to manifesting the reality I want to create now that I can more clearly declare what I want. A waiter cannot take your order until you know what you want. And the Universe cannot deliver unto you that which you desire until you can clearly articulate your desire. To manifest something grand a special alchemy of visualization and action must combine together.

As an act of good faith that I will find my way to where I want to be I am sharing some of the fruits of my imaginative labors. What appears below is taken directly from a document I have been writing for the last two years. The document has served as my "site" to reflect and imagine what I would like to do in my professional life in the future. Here it is:


PROFESSIONAL PURPOSE STATEMENT:

My professional purpose is to inspire appreciation, exploration and conservation of the natural environment and thereby facilitate the enjoyment and sustainable management of the natural world as well as its diverse human cultures.

What job responsibilities could my ideal position specifically include?
  • I work to inspire young people of diverse backgrounds to take an active interest in the marine environment.
  •  I assist organizations to get youth out into the marine environment where they can explore and learn more about the world around them.
  •  I help educate people about the phenomenon of marine protected areas and their value as a conservation tool.
  • I arrange special programming (field trips, research experiences, tours of the facilities of partner organizations committed to similar missions) for youth. I also occasionally assist as a guide and instructor as needed.
  • I introduce individuals and organizations to sites of cultural, historical and environmental significance for the purpose of educating and inspiring appreciation and conservation of such sites.



If you want to create something amazing find a good way to "shout it out" to the world at large. Announce yourself and your purpose to your friends and family. In doing so that which you need to realize your vision may begin to flow to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!