Saturday, July 11, 2015

My Daily Dose of Life

Saturday, July 11, 2015


Today was the first day in over two years that I didn't take any medication whatsoever. I didn't notice any big difference in my affect. Perhaps I will notice subtle changes in the coming days and weeks. I hope my weight gain can be explained by the medication I was taking; I have more fat around my midsection than I would care to have. Now that I am no longer taking sertraline perhaps I will find my weight and body shape return to something a bit more familiar.

I read an article today about the epidemic of heroin related deaths that has grown in this country in recent years. It's sobering to read how many people have lost their lives to drug addiction. But it was encouraging to read that a new and more appropriate attitude about heroin addiction and treatment appears to be taking root in the United States. This is encouraging. I was also encouraged to read that the surviving friends and family members of those who have died are being increasingly forthright about the circumstances of those who have passed away. Breaking through the silence and shame associated with issues such as drug addiction and mental illness can be such an immense task. I wish more people were up to that task.

As for myself I can't help be reminded of the precious gift of time that I have when I read of the premature deaths of people who died of addiction in their twenties and thirties. The loss of life so early in a person's life leaves so many possibilities unexplored and unfulfilled.

I also had another experience today that I felt was beckoning me to pursue a certain direction in my future. I will write more about that soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!