Monday, July 11, 2016

Be Real

Monday, July 11, 2016


I woke up this morning with a heaviness in my chest. Lately it has felt like something is seated on top of my chest when I wake up each morning. This has been going on for a few weeks now. In fact, it seems to have started on June 17th. That was a stressful day due to a dispute I am currently having with an individual I once considered a friend. It's always unfortunate when friendships sour to such a degree that those same individuals become people you never wish to see again.

I did all I could today to practice healthy living habits. I spent time with a very wonderful friend. I ate a healthy lunch. I completed paperwork necessary to keep my life running as smoothly as possible. I got a haircut so I will look sharp in the coming weeks. And then I went to the downtown YMCA.

Because my heart has been feeling quite stressed lately I decided to give myself some cardiovascular exercise. I both walked and ran on the walking/jogging path on the fifth floor of the gym. I then decided to do something more demanding. I ran as fast as I could over the distance of a single lap - twice. The second time around I could feel myself rapidly tiring as I reached my self imposed finish line. I now feel pleasantly exhausted. I believe I will sleep well tonight.

While exercising at the Y a slogan came to me that I want to make my personal life slogan from now on. The slogan is "Be Real. Be Powerful. Be *yourself*. Show Up."

The people I want to have in my life from this day forward are people who have similar values. I want people who are real...and by 'real' I mean authentic and forthright. I want people who are unafraid of being themselves. I also want people unafraid to express themselves and the power they have by virtue of being alive. And finally I want people who show up in the world. Apathy is never sexy. And apathy is something that kills individuals as well as communities and entire societies. We need people living according to what they are passionate about. I personally believe part of the reason American society appears to be rotting lately is because there is an epidemic of apathy at play.

We need to care about ourselves and our communities. End of story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!