Monday, April 25, 2016

When Lightning Strikes

Monday, April 25, 2016


Today I was awoken by a bolt of lightning that struck a tree just across the alley from where I live. The thunder that accompanied the lightning was virtually simultaneous to the lightning bolt itself. I virtually levitated above my bed when the thunder struck the house. It was very jarring to be awoken by such a fierce noise!

Lightning fascinates me for a number of reasons. One reason I like lightning is related to the fact that my initial academic training was in the field of atmospheric science. I grew up in a place (Texas) where each spring season regularly features very strong thunderstorms. I found that my pulse quickened on those days when thunder was seemingly tearing apart the sky above me.

One of my mentors, Dr. Pamela Colorado, connected with me via Facebook today after she noticed a posting I made in reference to the lightning of this morning. I was reminded of her interest in thunder-dreamers. I'll plan to write more about this topic later.

Hearing from my former professor reminded me of a dream I had many years ago. I had the dream while I was visiting my mother's family in Borken, Germany. I dreamt that I was struck by lightning. I made my way to a hospital and waited for medical care. I was somehow resilient or strong enough to survive being struck by lightning. I was charred black all over my body. In remembering that past dream today I am reminded of the reality that we create our own reality by the words we speak and the fantasies we entertain.

The lightning from this morning also reminded me of another snippet from my life related to lightning. Not so long ago I told my therapist that I was willing to do most anything to heal my life. I told him that I was even willing to be struck my lightning if that would produce a healed state of being. The lightning from this morning thus seems especially appropriate. Perhaps my full healing is now as close to me as the alley behind my home.

As for my own present day life I am currently doing outreach in the hope of finding a suitable employment opportunity in Hawai'i. I will be spending time actively imagining what I want in the coming weeks and months. At this time I hope to relocate to Hawai'i some time between August 1st and October 1st.

My heart is full of Hawai'i. I feel I belong in Hawai'i.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to accompany me as I document my own journey of healing. My blog is designed to offer inspiration and solace to others. If you find it of value I welcome you to share it with others. Aloha!